Garmin Edge 605/705 Launch Now Q1 - 2008

|

Garmin Edge 605/705 Launch Now Q1 - 2008


garminedge605705.jpg

Garmin confirmed with me yesterday that the new Garmin Edge 605/705 will be delayed the first quarter of 2008, from the original December launch date that was mentioned in the press release. So for those of us with a new Garmin Edge at the top of our wish lists for this December, I guess you’ll just have to slide it to the top of your St. Patrick’s Day wish list instead. Garmin spokesman Jake Jacobson told me, ‘While any delay is disappointing, we'd rather take the time to get it right.’

Personally, I would much rather have a quality product hit the shelves a few months late than have a buggy unit in the middle of the winter. (I live near Boston, and don't ride through the winter, but I guess if you live in L.A., it would be a bigger disappointment.) Yea, it stinks that there’s a delay, but I think this underscores the quality operation Garmin is; in not wanting to go to market before the unit is absolutely ready. The Edge 705 has a lot of new capabilities, including mapping, routing and of course the wireless features that allow you to swap and share data and routes with all of your biking friends who also have Edge 705’s. I am not sure I can drop the money for the 705, but the mapping capability plus the fitness functions are fantastic. I bike a fair amount and am looking forward to using a new Edge myself.

In the end, look at it this way; you’ll still have a new Edge 705 in time for your first spring ride!


(Via GPS Lodge.)

0 comentários: